Happy at the Finish...If you wish to donate to Cancer Research UK, please click on the picture, above, Thank you.

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Day 8 - Windermere to Annan

Top of Kirkstone Pass
 64 miles covered, a short day today, as I thought it would be one of the toughest, with Kirkstone Pass in the way.

Set off at 7:30, The landlord at the St John's Lodge B&B cooked me an early breakfast. I prepared myself for a big climb up Kirkstone Pass, I thought I might have to push but it was more long and windy rather than mega-steep. One hour and 8 miles later, I was at the top. A resident of the Kirkstone Pass Inn offered to take my picture at the top, duly attached.

A long steep downhill to Patterdale at Ullswater followed. It was a sunny day by now and after a couple of short steep climbs, it was downhill and flat all the way to Carlisle for 20 miles. I negotiated Carlisle ok and set off towards Longtown along the A7, I had lunch at a cafe there. I made it to Annan at around 3, where Hilary had booked a b&b. I went to my bed, I was suffering with a cold which I had picked up during those soakings in NW England. I got up around 7pm and had pasta for my tea in a good Italian restaurant in Annan, recommended by the B&B owner.

This was a very good B&B - Ravenswood, St Johns Rd, Annan. I considered sending my tent and stuff home as this cold doesn't encourage me to camp. I just want to get rid of it. I just persevere, just in case it's needed in the last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment