Happy at the Finish...If you wish to donate to Cancer Research UK, please click on the picture, above, Thank you.

Saturday 21 August 2010

Day 4 Bath to Bromyard, Herefordshire.

80 miles covered.
Bath taken from the 1st climb out
8:15 start, 7.5 miles to Bath, I had a quick tour of Bath city centre, mainly looking for the minor road I was taking out of the city. There was a steep 2 mile climb out of Bath, thank goodness for the low gears on my bike. Then I headed out towards Stroud and Gloucester. I got to Gloucester by 13:00 and it was packed, it was Saturday, I suppose, I eventually found my way out of the city, it was pouring with rain by this time, I had lunch at a place called Newent in the Black Dog pub and the landlord and locals were friendly and very interested in what I was doing. I was planning to stop in Newent but I carried on and actually got to a town called Bromyard, 20 Miles further up the road. I noticed there seemed to be a couple of pubs/hotels closed down in Bromyard, as seemed to be the case in England, away from the obvious tourist spots, like Cornwall, talking to some of the friendly local folks, the recession had definitely hit there hard.

I couldn't find any digs in Bromyard but I knew from the map there was a campsite 2 miles up the road so I cycled up to it, there was no reception at the campsite but I rang the number on the sign and they said I could pitch my tent, near the entrance.

After pitching my tent and a quick wash, I cycled back down to Bromyard to find somewhere to eat. After my tea, the heavens opened on my way back to camp and I got absolutely soaked. I think I managed to keep the inside of my tent dry though.

There had been a mixture of drizzle and heavy rain all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment