Happy at the Finish...If you wish to donate to Cancer Research UK, please click on the picture, above, Thank you.

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Day 14 - Helmsdale to John O'Groats (Final day)

52 miles covered.
Finally the last day, set off at 7:30, after the worst nights sleep yet, the B&B had a party of 8 workmen arrived at 2am from Ayrshire, not the quietest arrival, the land lady was most apologetic.
There is quite a tough 4.5 mile climb out of Helmsdale and then a very steep climb out of Berriedale, still managed to negotiate these, I was now confident that I could go the whole trip without having to push. The terrain was then undulating and I got to Wick, 35 miles up the road by 10. Now I had said to Hilary that I wouldn't be at John O'Groats until 1 so I stopped at Wick for cup of tea as I only had 17 miles to go.
I rang Hilary when I was 2 miles from John O'Groats as I still hadn't seen her pass me in the car and sure enough she was still about an hour away, I was an hour early and arrived at John O' Groats, jubilant and relieved at 12 noon exactly.
Hilary appeared at 12:45, with champagne and sandwiches in hand. She took my photo at the all important sign and we headed off and had our champagne picnic at Dunnet Head.

It was the best picnic I've ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment